Before setting up all the different variables and triggers in Google Tag Manager, you have to make sure that you actually have a Data Layer to get data from.
To make sure you have a data layer, please follow the steps below:
- Download and install the chrome plugin Tag Assistant by clicking here
- Head over to your website, and make a purchase
- Click on the tag assistant in the top right corner, and then click where it says "Google Tag Manager"
- Click on "Data Layer" if it's there, and see what's inside. Do you have the required values mentioned at the bottom of the page here: Data Layer Variables
- If you do, then you can go ahead and set up your variables in Google Tag Manager, if you don't, please send it back to your developer and ask him to implement the necessary Data Layer.
One minute video: